Tuesday, October 29, 2013

my first job Gary V

My First Job: Flower Salesman... Sort Of

My First Job: Flower Salesman... Sort Of

I’m actually a little embarrassed about what my first job was. Because I’m an entrepreneur, and because I came up in a family business, I’m not going to have the cliché, romantic story about flipping burgers or working at Wal-Mart. Mine’s a little bit more “immigrant.” I wasn’t born in this country, and I was fortunate enough to have a family who worked really hard and had their own small business. My father had a great liquor store in New Jersey which I went to work for when I was fourteen, so many people might look at this and say that my first job was getting paid $2/hr to go bag ice in my dad’s liquor store.
But that’s not the case.
I would say that my first job was when I was 5-going-on-6. It was in Edison, New Jersey in the summer of 82, and I was an entrepreneur from the very beginning. My neighbors on Teaberry drive were lovely people. I think they were retired at that point, had no kids, and lived in a nice little ranch right next to our townhouse. I remember they had these beautiful flowers, and I remember going up and ripping these tulips (or daisies, or who knows what they were) out of the ground, putting a few of them together in a bunch, and cleaning them off. I walked up to the door, rang the door-bell, and I said: “Would you like to buy some of these flowers?”
And true to the great 80s vibe in the neighborhood, and the luck of Joanne being such a nice lady, she offered to buy her own flowers back from me for 5 cents (by the way, those 5 cents felt like $5.5 million to me back then). I was so pumped. So jazzed! Too bad she didn’t realize she was feeding a dragon and for the rest of the summer, I’d be running around the neighborhood ripping flowers out of the poor people’s yards and trying to sell them back.
I’m not proud of it, per se, but I can also reconcile it with the fact that I was a very, very young child. What I am proud of is that I understood the structure of the business: I had zero overhead. No cost of inventory. I didn’t sit on the inventory very long, so it had great turnaround. And, frankly, the profit margins were as good as any other business I’ve ever been involved in.
So you might say that it set the tone. My first job was an excellent preview into the rest of my career… except that I’ve become a dramatically more honest businessman.
Photo: the author at the time, with sister Liz.
--
If you found value in this article, it would mean a lot to me if you shared it with your LinkedIn Contacts!
--
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook is available for pre-sale on Amazon! bit.ly/jjjrhamazon

1 comment:

  1. INSTANT AFFORDABLE PERSONAL/BUSINESS/HOME/INVESTMENT LOAN OFFER WITHOUT COST/STRESS CONTACT US TODAY VIA Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello, Do you need an urgent loan to support your business or in any purpose? we are certified and legitimate and international licensed loan Company. We offer loans to Business firms, companies and individuals at an affordable interest rate of 2% , It might be a short or long term loan or even if you have poor credit, we shall process your loan as soon as we receive your application. we are an independent financial institution. We have built up an excellent reputation over the years in providing various types of loans to thousands of our customers. We Offer guaranteed loan services of any amount to people all over the globe, we offer easy Personal loans,Commercial/business loan,Car loan Leasing/equipment finance, Debt consolidation loan, Home loan, ETC with either a good or bad credit history. If you are in need of a loan do contact us via Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Share this to help a soul right now, Thanks

    ReplyDelete