Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My first job Beth Comstock

 

My First Job: This Weakling Worked the Line and Learned How to Bond




On the first day of my first job, the veteran workers started a pool on whether I would make it to the shift’s end. It was the summer between my freshman and sophomore year in college and I was working with injection molding machines that produced spatulas, beer mugs and huge trash bins. This wasn’t the I Love Lucy chocolate factory job; it was hot and the pace was intense. I was a sensitive weakling! If I had been invited into the betting pool that night, I might have wagered against myself, too.
I thought working as "summer relief" at the Rubbermaid factory in Winchester, Va., would be a nice break from school and a chance to earn some money. I worked the evening shift from 4 p.m. to midnight and my parents would drop me off at the plant at the beginning of my shift and pick me up at the end.
I was a fish out of water. Not only was I not particularly tough, I was regularly assigned to jobs I wasn’t prepared to do. The work was physical, demanding and required a great deal of focus. My coworkers could have been hard on me, but instead they took me in and taught me about teamwork. I learned how people bond around their roles on the line and establish camaraderie. Forget management, we worked hard for each other. This drive led me to double down and make sure there was no way I was going to fail.
We made small trashcans with the hotel logos of various resorts around the world. It was fun to build stories with fellow line mates about what the hotel room must look like in The Bahamas and what we’d do when we visited the resort. We wanted to feel a connection to the fruits of our labor.
I made it through the summer, though I never fully fit in. One of the workers, who became a friend, called me "college girl," assuming I thought I knew something. Truth is, I mostly learned from her. Still, I got to be pretty good on that line and was often asked to step in as a substitute. I owe a lot to that job for helping to teach me what it means to "put it on the line."

1 comment:

  1. INSTANT AFFORDABLE PERSONAL/BUSINESS/HOME/INVESTMENT LOAN OFFER WITHOUT COST/STRESS CONTACT US TODAY VIA Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello, Do you need an urgent loan to support your business or in any purpose? we are certified and legitimate and international licensed loan Company. We offer loans to Business firms, companies and individuals at an affordable interest rate of 2% , It might be a short or long term loan or even if you have poor credit, we shall process your loan as soon as we receive your application. we are an independent financial institution. We have built up an excellent reputation over the years in providing various types of loans to thousands of our customers. We Offer guaranteed loan services of any amount to people all over the globe, we offer easy Personal loans,Commercial/business loan,Car loan Leasing/equipment finance, Debt consolidation loan, Home loan, ETC with either a good or bad credit history. If you are in need of a loan do contact us via Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Share this to help a soul right now, Thanks

    ReplyDelete