Tuesday, August 13, 2013

When to keep writing and when to bail on writing project


Frustrated with a writing project? Not making enough progress or stalled entirely? Shift gears and go in a new direction.
 
Happy Tuesday

I've been working for months on writing a short book on the topic of How to Write a Short Business Book.

Some of you kindly agreed to be on my Book Team to vet possible titles and chapter ideas.

I've written over 50,000 words (far more than needed for a "short" book) but a coherent draft hasn't taken shape.

So I'm declaring victory.

Whaaat??

I explored this book idea with the best of intentions. But it didn't work as a short Kindle eBook. At least the way I wanted to write it. I was aiming for a literary guide for business authors. 


Rather than continue to beat myself over the head about not finishing what I originally envisioned, I'm stopping and taking the project in a new direction.

Therein lies the victory.

When you're struggling to finish a business writing project, there are some legitimate questions you can ask yourself:

1. What is your end goal? 

If it's to finish because, dammit, you started, that may not be the right answer. Ask yourself:

What will be the measurable impact on your business?

If you were planning to sell it as a $2.99 eBook, maybe there is a different way to package your content that is more profitable.

2. What will happen if you let go of this project?

Letting something go can free up a lot of energy.

Ask yourself if there is another, more doable writing project you can complete in the next few weeks.

Seth Godin makes the case in his book, The Dip, that quitting intelligently is sometimes the best choice.

3. What realistic milestones can you set for an alternate project?

I'm not advocating giving up entirely.

If it's a subject that you are passionate about, step back and ask yourself if you can finish the project in a different format. Then give yourself some milestones and stick to them:

- Complete a (sh*tty) first draft in two or three weeks

- Find and book a designer, whether you need an eBook cover or a snazzy layout for a PDF

- Contact (and vet) an editor who has time to work with you in the next month

- Decide on a launch date (count backwards to give yourself enough time for promotion)

4. Are you sabotaging yourself by aiming for perfection?


As author Anne Lamott puts it:

(Perfectionism) will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a shitty first draft.

I battle perfectionism. That's one reason I am committed to a daily writing practice. My anxious brain feels more sane when I write every morning.

Announcing: a PDF package of my Beta Author program


When I stepped back to reconsider my goal for publishing a short book on How to Write a Short Business Book, the light finally dawned. I realized my end goal was to repackage my Beta Author program in an easily consumable format for busy professionals.

A new edition of Beta Author launches in September

If you want structure and motivation to help you write a short book, mark your calendar for September and October. The new version of my Beta Author program will include a PDF-only alternative that will be much more affordable.

I will offer spots to work with me 1:1 to refine and organize your specific book idea, but they will be limited due to my continuing Gap Year After Sixty.

More details soon. 


As always, I'd love to hear from you. Have you ever abandoned a writing project? What happened? Did any good come of it?

Yours in declaring victory and hitting reset on a writing project,




Debbie

Useful Links

The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) by Seth Godin

What you can write in 15 minutes a day (July 30, 2013 Happy Tuesday email)

Photo credit: Pencil image above courtesy of the marvelous Laurie Foley.

Debbie Weil
Founder & CEO, Voxie Media
Big Ideas. Short Books.™

{eBook publishing and programs for up-and-coming business authors}

email: debbie@voxiemedia.com
mobile: 202.255.1467

voxiemedia.com
facebook
google+
linkedin
@debbieweil
Copyright © 2013 WordBiz.com, Inc. / Voxie Media, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this message because you signed up to receive Voxie Media's e-newsletter, you signed up for a Webinar or other event with Debbie Weil or you are a rabid fan. Maybe all of the above? You may unsubscribe at any time.

Our mailing address is:
WordBiz.com, Inc. / Voxie Media
3032 O St. NW
Washington, DC 20007


Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

1 comment:

  1. Bad credit installment loans uk is considered to be an easiest way for the applicant having stained credit ratings for availing the funds .individual for availing the funds through this are not require to go through any process of credit verification.
    6 month cash loans
    6 month installment loans
    500 Doorstep Loans

    ReplyDelete