Saturday, August 3, 2013

Jeff Cochran and his transformation

Jeff Cochran's Transformation




Submitted by:
Jeff Cochran
In 2009, my life was lots of zeroes – mostly the negative kind. The natural networks from friends and church that had fed my family’s design business were quickly resembling a parched landscape. No one was spending for marketing. I finally realized that my need for change outstripped my own resources. So I picked up Keith Ferrazzi’s Never Eat Alone and – pardon the pun – devoured it.
The first of Keith’s principles I tasted was “Be generous with your network.” ”That pithy phrase resonated with me. Next, I saw, “It’s the relationships, not the event.” The power of those six simple words also struck a chord. For me, it became the litmus test for what is – and what is not – “true networking” (more on that later). Finally, the core principle of integrating networking into my lifestyle gave me the spark I needed to rebuild our business network.
Shortly after reading Never Eat Alone I went to a networking event in a neighboring county. The people I met gave me cookies, offered to do my nails and even promised to reacquaint me with my dearly departed relatives. Coming away from that experience, I knew, “I can do this better” – not bigger, but networking of a more professional quality. It was a germ of an idea in a shoestring attempt to pull myself up by my bootstraps.
After scribbling a few notes using the principles from Keith’s book and five minutes into a meeting with a printer and the owner of a food franchise, LinkAnnapolis was born. Its design was intentionally of low risk to my soon-to-be-partners: just printed postcards and a hosted Happy Hour with appetizers.
From the very start, LinkAnnapolis took off. In the first year, we grew to 100 attendees every month. I even found myself welcoming network group competitors spying on its success. LinkAnnapolis attracts entrepreneurs and business startups as well as established businesses, and continues to be the monthly semi-pro networking event for business owners in the Annapolis area.
One year to the day from its kick-off event, the original partners stepped back from LinkAnnapolis, giving me both sole ownership and their blessing to continue with it as “my gig.” Since then I took it to the next level with the LinkAnnapolis Lunch Club and breakfasts — more intimate gatherings over lunch with groups of 8-12 business owners each. And I duplicated this success in a neighboring city and now also have LinkColumbia monthly networking events and lunches.
And my friend and business coach, Bob Shannon, now conducts monthly business book reviews for participants, giving them gems sifted from the business book of the month – sharing the type of wisdom I received from Never Eat Alone.
I can state, with the perspective of about four years and great appreciation, that things have come full circle. This year, we are experiencing a resurgence of our “new and improved” networks. Just this week I went on three appointments from direct referrals which would not have been there but for the principles I gathered in 2009.
My lifestyle, if not my life, is very different now. I’m consciously generous with my network. Our events are open, participants number in the hundreds, and they serve to regularly foster new and valuable relationships for ourselves and others. Finally, I rarely, if ever, “eat alone.”




Comments

Joe Brown's picture
Good for you! Great job. I always look forward to participating in the Link events.
Andy Meehan's picture
Hi Jeff - wonderful post - can you elaborate the key success factors that allowed you to turn Keith's principles into the success you have experienced and can you share one big surprise you encountered along the way.
I have a friend with a business in Annapolis I am going to share your event with.. Not sure if he knows about it...
And I run a business book discussion group in Philadelphia that I am hoping to build into a larger network to benefit all the current members and your group and story is inspiring me forwards on that objective !
Thanks!

Add new comment

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment