Monday, August 19, 2013

Choose your real estate agent carefully

Sellers: Don’t waste time on a waste of a Real Estate Agent!

Post image for Sellers: Don’t waste time on a waste of a Real Estate Agent!
by The Dawn Thomas Team on August 19, 2013

Today we share with you an article that senior vice president and managing officer of Intero, Alain Pinel wrote entitled, Don’t Worry, Be Happy!. No matter how the Real Estate Market is where you are, having an un-happy downer of an agent can threaten any sale! We’ve recently given you articles about what makes a good agent and experience, this is the third in the series. If you’re thinking about selling your home in the Silicon Valley reach out to The Dawn Thomas Team today.
“Well, don’t you have to decide who, as an agent, you want to work with? Of course you do. It’s your call. The options are open, based on such criteria as agents’ experience, batting average, market knowledge, company’s affiliation, etc. Often, what may proved to be the most important ingredients of a good pick are overlooked: chemistry, enthusiasm and optimism. Is your agent happy? The road that eventually leads to finding a buyer or finding a home can be long and rocky; can you stand to walk that road with the agent you have in mind?
An agent can change the way [s]he works, but he cannot change the way he thinks. From under the polish of experience, natural behavior will always re-surface. Some agents are just not the happy kind. They blame the market instead of focusing on the great opportunities it presents. They blame cooperating agents and sometimes kill a deal by criticizing the other side, instead of focusing on what they have to do to win. They unnecessarily complicate a deal to look like they are very smart, at the risk of losing it, instead of trying to simplify whatever they can and focus on the desired outcome.
Not only is it painful to endure the service of an unhappy agent but you also need to be aware that other agents probably feel the same way about the them. They are not looking forward to working with them and may even go out of their way to avoid showing or bringing offers on their listings. Guess who suffers from it: you, as the seller. You want/need your agent to get along with everyone to multiply your opportunities to sell or buy.
Over the years, I gave a lot of different agents the listings on my own homes. Some experiences were great. Some were not. And I am not talking here about the end result. No, at the end of the day, the best experiences I had about using an agent to sell my house, were not about the sale, they were always about the process. Did I enjoy the ride, the dedication, the honest care, the positive attitude, the relationship?
Let me share with you some pointers you would be well advised to keep in mind and address with the agents you interview in order to make a good pick:
  • Show me (and tell me) that you like my house
  • Tell me that you understand my needs and you are happy about the opportunity to satisfy them
  • Show me that you are proud to have my listing
  • Show me that you are comfortable with the price and other conditions of the sale
  • Show me that you are happy to share my listing with the other Realtors to gain their interest
  • Show me that you are excited about the prospect of showing the house to potential buyers
  • Show me that you are anxious & prepared to promote it via the media channels we can agree on
  • Do not hold my house open over the weekend because you have to; do it because you want to
  • Do not take my listing if you don’t honestly believe you can sell it
  • Don’t tell me after you pocket the listing that it’s my fault if the house does not sell. I don’t need a nagging mother, I need a business partner
You may want to make yours some of these qualifying remarks. Remember, if your agent is not upbeat about the market or your house and its salability, do yourself a favor: do not list with them. Life is short, and the listing period may be long…”
This blog is courtesy of The Dawn Thomas Team who is an award-winning Real Estate Agent team at Intero Real Estate Services in Los Altos 650-701-7822. We help nice people with selling and buying homes in the greater Silicon Valley and Beyond!
Share

1 comment:

  1. 45 day loans for bad credit has been designed for the applicant like tenants and non-property who can easily avail the fund without any tension of poor credit scores and arrangement of any collateral of submission.
    paid day cash advance loans
    quick same day loans for unemployed
    360 day loans

    ReplyDelete