Saturday, March 30, 2013

Use turning points in lfie to create a great life



Life is full of turning points. I've had some major turning points that have caused some great changes in my life. They don't seem to have any rhyme or reason for when they appear, but when they come, dramatic things seem to follow.

In 1984, I had been working with an electrical contractor out of the Metro-D.C. area. It was a short-term assignment. When our last project came to a close the contractor laid a number of the younger guys off. I was one of those electricians. So, I found myself newly married and unemployed.

Shortly after, I went to the Virginia Employment Commission to see if I could sign up for employment compensation to carry me through until I found a new job. The lady behind the counter gave me the paperwork and sent me to a table to fill it out. I completed the packet of material and returned to her counter.

As she started going through my information she started mumbling something under her breath. I couldn't make it out so I just ignored it and did a little people watching. As she read through more pages, the comments became louder, condescending and specifically about me. What was this about? By the time she got to the end of my file she was looking me eye to eye, and she was making every effort to humiliate me in front of the other filers.

I thought maybe I had done or said something to her that offended her, but the time at the counter was just about all the conversation we had together. She berated me for not going out and getting a job, for wasting her time, for filing for employment benefits when I was a strong young man and for breathing.

I was stunned. I was just a young guy. I had never had anyone tell me what a dirt-bag I was for being unemployed. Of course, I had never really been unemployed since I started working 10 years before. I thought the VEC was set up to help me find a job, but apparently she didn't see it that way. She was acting like I was asking for money from her checkbook. You would have to admit that she had taken ownership of her job.

Finally, after I had taken enough, I grabbed the file and slide it across the counter and said, "Lady, this isn't your money. My employer paid it so I could collect insurance in the event we were out of work, but you keep it, because I'll make it without this money!"

I walked out of the building, started my electrical contracting company that day, and nearly thirty years later I still refuse to collect government assistance for anything. That was a turning point. It ignited an anger in me which fueled an entrepreneurial spirit that has helped me create multiple companies that have generated income for me and others for nearly three decades, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm not sure someone making you mad is the best way to get you to stretch yourself to new limits, but in my case it was the point at which I promised myself that I would never be at the mercy of another person for my sustenance, and I haven't. It was a turning point.

Turning points can be powerful. Some come into your life without warning and without your permission, but even those can end up as positive, life-changing and dramatic events. Other turning points come at the pinnacle of a great deal of hard work, planning and dedication. No matter how they come, I challenge you to use the turning points in your life to dig down deep inside and become a greater person than you were when they arrived.

1. Buying your first home in Winchester VA
2. What to look for when buying a foreclosure in Winchester VA
3. Short Sale inventory in Winchester VA
4. Winchester, VA - The best bedroom community for the Washington, D.C. area
5. Passion is contagious - Infect somebody!
6. Winchester, Virginia is a great place to buy a house at great discount!
7. This simple electrical test could save your life.
8. Turn setbacks into springboards
9. Reduce your mortgage by pre-paying principle and eliminating interest
10. What can I do to sell my home more quickly?
********************************************************************************
Mike Cooper, Real Estate Broker, Winchester, VAGive me a call for all your real estate needs, and let's make something amazing happen.
Mike Cooper @ Cornerstone Business Group, Inc., 888-722-6029


Real Estate Sales and Property Management

(Disclaimer: All grammatical mistakes, punctuation breakdowns and misspellings are purely for your amusement and entertainment. Feel free to cackle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment