Thursday, September 26, 2013

How to hire? be not afraid to fire

How I Hire: To Be Great at Hiring, Be Unafraid of Firing

How I Hire: To Be Great at Hiring, Be Unafraid of Firing




This may be one of my favorite subjects in the world. Let me explain: As a young kid at 22 I grew my family wine business from eight to 75 employees very, very quickly. One of the things I prided myself in was that I had people skills like no other; that I was a wiz-kid when it came to understanding the emotions and the “E.Q.” of others. Because of this, it was generally accepted that I was the best person do to the hiring and, fortunately, these hires worked out tremendously, and we all went on to do big, big business.
Fast-forward to 2011 and I’m getting deeply involved in VaynerMedia, the social agency that I co-founded with my brother, AJ. Walking in, I (of course) brought huge bravado: “This is how I hire, and here is how we’re going to do things and blah blah blah.” And what happened was that things went really well. We grew the business from 28 to 275 people in two years. But some of the hires that I thought were going to be home runs ended up not working out so well. That gave me some pause and made me think back to those early days at Wine Library and how not all of those hires worked perfectly either. Anyway, this all got me taking a serious look at hiring processes and doing some research, and everybody’s got “their process” and “their way of doing this that and the other thing.” But let me tell you this about the hiring debate:

You do the best you can.

Everyone’s got their own filter. I’m giving you insight into mine right now, and I’m sure a lot of other influencers here on LinkedIn are giving you theirs. None of it is perfect and none of it is terrible. At the end of the day I’ll use a certain level of intuition, maybe a test, certainly a log of questions, but my principle has always been gut feel, and not to be crippled by the hire.
You want to be great at hiring, do this: Go with your gut. Go with your intuition. Go with your process. If it’s black and white, and it’s a series of questions that leads to a numerical score, good. If it’s like me and you walk into a room, ask a couple questions, and go with whatever feels right at that moment, good. But here is the key to hiring: It’s taking the time to analyze what happened after the fact. It’s not being crippled by the fact that you’re the one who hired that person. It’s doing your best to give that hire all the things they need from your organization to succeed, but then, if that’s been exhausted, it’s about not being afraid of firing.
The way to be a great at hiring, is to be unafraid of firing.

I’m an entrepreneur. You can find out more at garyvaynerchuk.com
Wanna do something with me? Check out http://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/jjjrh/ I am bartering and doing bonuses around my new book!


2 comments:

  1. 3 Month Loans No Credit Check have an immense effect on instantaneous requirements without waiting for an elongated time. Moreover, there is no decision of approval based on previous arrears or debts. Thus, the borrower is relieved from such a worry. His appeal will not be turned down even if he has entered in the bad books of other banks.
    6 month loans for unemployed
    6 month bad credit loans
    loans for 6 months

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to perfect Basin Units for our homes, which are often very suspicious that it is difficult, time consuming and expensive decision, but there are a variety of forms, and aspects that can be considered to give a better chance if the achievement Ideal bathroom next to you wanted.

    For More Detail us at: http://www.ukbathroomhub.co.uk/bathroom-furniture.html

    ReplyDelete