Thursday, June 6, 2013

James Altucher's daily practice for success- Keith Ferrazzi

James Altucher’s 'Daily Practice' for Success




James Altucher

Maintaining the stamina and mental strength to withstand whatever life throws your way can be a challenge for many of us. Doing so while juggling a portfolio of businesses and projects like James Altucher requires what he refers to as his “daily practice.” In his Social Capitalist interview, James described the four areas where he focuses attention to make sure he’s ready for anything.
So, I've had many problems. I've had businesses that have failed. I've gone completely broke. I've lost a house. I've lost a marriage. I've had lots of roller coasters in my life that I would just as soon forget about. But one thing I do remember is that each time I was on the floor, wondering how could life possibly continue after these events, one thing helped me. This is not based on anything I've read or studied or anything like that; it’s based on what actually did get me off the floor so that I could try and be happy again. It’s what I call daily practice, when I actually quantify it.
There are basically four legs to this practice. One is physical. You can't succeed if you're sick, so if you're physically ill or not in shape or eating junk food all the time, you're not going to be able to succeed. It’s just not possible.
Two is emotional health. If you're having a series of bad relationships or you're constantly arguing with your family or your spouse, or whatever, you're not going to have the emotional health to find the energy to build a business or to succeed or be happy.
Three is mental health. You have to be able not only to generate ideas but have confidence that you're generating good ideas. And that doesn’t happen overnight. That requires practice, just like physical exercise doesn’t get you in shape overnight. It’s over a one-month, two-month, six-month, six-year period.
Finally, four, spiritual health. You have to be able to know that there are going to be some points that are so difficult you just say to yourself, or to a higher power, “I can't do this. Help me out. I give up.” Just having a notion of surrender exercises that spiritual muscle – and, of course, also having gratitude. We're all grateful that we're alive today.
All four of these legs are what I call “the daily practice.” They have to be working in conjunction in order for you to climb off that floor you put yourself on, or which has been thrust upon you by your failure or poverty or losing a home or relationship or anger.
To read the full transcript of James’ Social Capitalist interview, click here. To listen to this and other Social Capitalist podcasts, download them at iTunes.


Add new comment

No comments:

Post a Comment