Saturday, June 29, 2013

Be yourself, everyone else is taken

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde
I know I’m not the biggest “thing” online. That’s not my aim. Though I am here, there, and kinda everywhere. It totally works for me. Truly, I have a passion for social media, yet I confess, I can’t wait for that term to be laid to rest. I identify with late X and the Y generation.
Three of my four kids are in their 20’s are very Y’z and I love telling this little story in my classes and workshops...
“Dad, why do you have to call it social media?” It just is.

That's a fact for them and I take the question/comment very seriously!
Royal Pingdom report: Social network demographics in 2012.
Courtesy of Royal Pingdom. social network demographics in 2012 report.
I'm in that 6% 2nd from the right. I didn't purchase my first computer until I was 30 years old in 1980, a Sinclair ZX80. Then in 1983 when I was headed for Grad School I did a major upgrade to a Commodore 64 and got a VicModem 1660 (300 baud) then a 1670 (1200 baud) to get online via dialup.
All of us online are in the content creation and management game. If you’ve been in marketing, we’ve always been in the content creation and management game. Yet today, the delivery is different and the content is dynamic. It’s possible to be discovered (and embraced or ignored) by anyone on the planet with web access.
Not everyone likes you, get over it. But your chances of not being ignored are a lot better if you're true to yourself and what you publish is authentic.
Enjoy a Frosty Pop!
We hear it all the time that content rules. I think that misses the point. What rules is conversation around the content. That's where opportunity for relationship takes place.
The most powerful thing you can be online (or off) is you. If you really want to be #1, buy some Frosty Pops on a hot summer day and share them with your friends! Some of my best online ranking comes from such topics!
Keep being you, my friends!

"Where there's conversation, there's opportunity."
Please Note - The views expressed herein reflect only the individual’s personal views
and are not the views of the author’s employer.

Let's hook up on Twitter... Linkedin.com/in/renefabre Facebook.com Let's Yelp together. Catch my videos on YouTube. The Blackberry Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment