Friday, April 19, 2013

Deebie Weil Guy Kawasaki


Turns out that author Guy Kawasaki is human. Read on to find out what his daily writing ritual is.
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
 
Asked what his writing ritual is during a recent webinar, Guy Kawasaki laughed and said: “Do as I say, not as I do.” What he tells us to do in APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur, his new bestseller with co-author Shawn Welch, is to write every day.
If you missed the last email with highlights from my interview with writer Jeff Goins on the importance of voice in writing, read it here. You can download an edited transcript of the interview.
As Guy describes it in the chapter on How to Write Your Book:

“The habit of writing every day controls doubt and prevents quitting. Maybe it’s only writing a paragraph, massaging your outline or refining your vomit. Ed note: this is Guy’s term for what Anne Lamott calls the sh*tty first draft. If you wait for the perfect day when you’re financially set; the kids are clothed, fed and making straight As; your house is in perfect order; and global warming has stopped, you’ll never write.”


Guy Kawasaki's real writing ritual

What Guy really does is as follows. To paraphrase his answer on the Webinar:

“I get up and check my email and Google+ and Facebook. Then I decide to follow up on a couple of things. And before you know it, it’s 10 AM and I need to eat breakfast. Then it’s time for ice hockey practice. And I gotta pick up the kids from school. And eat lunch. So now it’s 3 PM and I need to help with dinner. And then it’s after dinner and finally it’s about 9 PM and maybe then I can sit down and start writing.”

Have I mentioned recently that I love Guy Kawasaki? Guy has always been one of my favorite author celebrities. This seals it.  


Yours in writing rituals and in writing every day.









P.S. I'm on my 68th straight day of writing every morning. My ritual is the I must write before checking email. Do you have a writing ritual??

Debbie Weil
Founder & CEO, Voxie Media
Big Ideas. Short Books.™
email: debbie@voxiemedia.com
phone: 202.255.1467
twitter: @debbieweil
web: voxiemedia.com

Copyright © 2013 WordBiz.com, Inc. / Voxie Media, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this message because you signed up to receive Voxie Media's e-newsletter, you signed up for a webinar or other event with Debbie Weil, you are a client or colleague, or you are a rabid fan. Maybe all of the above? You may unsubscribe at any time.
Our mailing address is:
WordBiz.com, Inc. / Voxie Media
3032 O St. NW
Washington, DC 20007

No comments:

Post a Comment