Saturday, June 1, 2013

My best mistake 10 cents a lawn

28 Posts
277,817 followers
Get updates from T. Boone Pickens right on your homepage.
T. Boone Pickens

T. Boone Pickens

Founder, Chairman and CEO at BP Capital and TBP Investments Management

My Best Mistake: 10 Cents a Lawn

My Best Mistake: 10 Cents a Lawn


My first job was mowing lawns. Then I got a paper route. Then I jumped on a bad deal, and the person who got the better of me was my grandmother, Nellie Molonson.
She had six small rental houses. Grandmother said that if I would mow the lawns at her rental houses, she would furnish the mower. Then she asked me to bid on the job for the summer. But I didn’t know what she meant. She explained that if I came up with a price for mowing the six lawns that was acceptable to her, she would pay me that price and we would have a verbal contract.

I offered to mow the lawns for 10 cents a lawn, thinking that would be a lot of money. At that time, my paper route was only 28 papers, and I was paid a penny a paper for a total of 28 cents. A dime a lawn represented quite a bonus over throwing papers, or it seemed to. My grandmother agreed to the price, so I started mowing.

Then it started raining. It would rain two days, then we would have sun for five days. I could see the grass growing – and growing. I hadn’t looked at the job very closely. I didn’t realize the lawns were as big as they were, or what a rainy summer would do to me.

“This was a very bad summer, and you made a bad deal,” my grandmother told me. I couldn’t help but agree.

“I’m going to help you out, Sonny,” she said.

“Grandmother, what are you going to do for me?” I asked

“I’ll sharpen the lawnmower,” she said.

“Is that all?” I asked.

“Sonny, these are the kinds of things that you will never forget,” she said. “I can assure you, the next time you bid on a job, you’ll give a lot more thought to it.”

Grandmother was right. Misjudging that bid was a small mistake, one that only cost me a few dollars. Yet the sting of that minor miscalculation created such a long-lasting impression that it has stayed seared in my mind throughout my entire career.

No comments:

Post a Comment