Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Keep learning then avoid burnout

 

If You're Learning, You'll Never Need to Recharge




In a recent interview I did with the Wall Street Journal, we hit on a wide range of topics: discount programs disguised as loyalty programs; the experiment in human nature that we call Panera Cares; the opportunities and challenges that come with taking a suburban brand into urban environments; the (minor) impact of the Affordable Care Act on our business, as well as my management style. All in all, it was a pretty in-depth Q&A. But it was a rather innocuous question that took me by surprise.
The reporter asked, what do you do to recharge?
The fact is, I never feel the need to recharge because I rarely feel burned out. After three decades in the food industry, I can unreservedly declare that I still love what I do.
Of course, I get tired. Eighty-hour work weeks and way too many red-eye flights will wear anybody down. Nor am I immune to the stress that comes with running a public company for 22 years and shouldering responsibility for more than 70,000 Panera associates. But thankfully, I've never experienced the chronic exhaustion, inertia, frustration, and cynicism that come with a temporary slump or even classic burnout. Hence, I've never had reason to refresh my spirit and renew my spark.
The reason, I think, is that I view my work as a lifelong learning journey. I go to work to learn about how the world works. How humanity works. And what will work in the world.
The British author John le Carré once quipped, "The desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world." I couldn't agree more. I visit anywhere from 25 to 100 Panera cafes every month. And what I always find is a kind of real-time performance art—dynamic interactions between our front-line crews and constantly shifting casts of customers, with the overriding goal of ensuring that when customers exit our "stage," they are nourished in soul as well as body. The performances always differ. And I inevitably learn something new.
When I learn, the results are actionable ideas and a broadened vision. Opportunities for change are revealed. I'm engaged in the world around me, so there's no need to refresh.
My work is also energizing because I believe I'm doing work that matters. In his seminal book, Man's Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl, a prominent Jewish psychiatrist and Nazi concentration camp survivor, wrote that those who endured the death camps believed that "life was still expecting something from them; something in the future was expected of them." Whether it was a father whose young child was living in a foreign country or a scientist who had books he still needed to write, their lives still held meaning. And that helped them endure the Nazi's brutality.
I'm not a scientist. We don't cure cancer at Panera. We don't launch shuttles into space. But we do touch the lives of 8 million people each week in thousands of cafes across the country. We've helped entire communities care about the quality of their food. We've given customers an inviting place to gather and feel welcome. And through our pay-what-you-can cafés and other efforts, we're contributing our resources and know-how to the fight against food insecurity in America, where one in six households don't always know where their next meal is coming from. All of that gets me up before dawn and keeps me going until late in the evening.
If you find meaning in your work and you go to work to learn about life, I doubt you'll ever have reason to recharge. The work itself will renew you.
Photo: Polygraphus/Vetta via Getty Images


Posted by:


Alan Russell



 
  • Like You Liudmila S. Matiss I. Jan G. Manjit K. Michelle S. and 824 others like this post
  • Add a comment 223 comments
  • Flag and Hide Tania Wåge L.
    Tania Wåge L.
    Program Manager Strategic implentation at Multiconsult
    Thank you for a meaningfull start of my day here in Norway. Another thing that springs to mind is a friend that told me that he thought that a lot of people that said they have been burned out never seemed to him to have been on fire in the first place.........We all have to find some purpose in life, at leat that gets me going!
  • Flag and Hide Liudmila S.
    Liudmila S.
    Doctor Neurosurgeon, PhD (Krasnoyarsk Regional Hospital)
    I'm agreeable to Ron's opinion. Can see it in life
  • Flag and Hide John S.
    John S.
    Coach, Facilitator and Black Belt: Innovation Engineering
    Gradually you become the person who seems to be answering questions rather than asking them. Hard to learn that way. I'm just sorry I stumbled onto it so late. Great article Ron!
  • Flag and Hide Ann D.
    Ann D.
    Realtor at Michael Saunders and Company
    Wow. Words of inspiration. I, too, love what I do and the people I do it with.
  • Flag and Hide Victor I.
    Victor I.
    Brand Manager at Brian Munro
    Work could be another concentration camp, where the chance of survival is slim, if the attitude to it is wrong. Attitude to work first, and then the reward attached (define your value) to the work are better forms of recharging. Never mind that you get to plan get-away trips to your job, which gives double recharge. Sometimes you just wish to abandone everything about it and get some fresh air.
  • Flag and Hide francis xavier stegman
    francis xavier stegman 2nd
    OWNER at FOXFIRE INVESTING CORP,INTERNATIONAL BAR
    I MAKE IT A POINT TO LEAVE TOWN AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS..I DO NOT TAKE MY PHONE OR COMPUTER WITH ME AND GET TOTALLY AWAY FROM THE BUSINESS..SOME TIME YOU NEED TO TAKE A STEP BACKWARDS AND LOOK AT YOUR BUSINESS ..I FIND THAT I GET RECHARGED AND FRESH AND READY TO TAKE ON ANY THING...IT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU...STEGMAN
  • Flag and Hide Randy B.
    Randy B.
    Investment Advisor at Local Real Estate Investment Network
    Ron your last paragraph sums up your life and your passion. Thanks for sharing--life is life long lesson and your fight against food insecurity is to be commended. Well done and Well said.
  • Flag and Hide Wallace B. D.
    Wallace B. D.
    Chairman of Black Box Intelligence and People Report
    Ron, It's a great industry and you are a great example of leadership! Well done and well said.
  • Flag and Hide Melissa C.
    Melissa C.
    Passionate Learning and Development Professional
    So inspirational! I really love the quote by John le Carré, "The desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world" because I think it can also apply to our very technological world. Although technology keeps us connected (and I personally think its a great tool), it is much more gratifying to view the world in its natural elements. Cheers!
    Likers Anne G.
  • Flag and Hide Roberto B.
    Roberto B.
    Propietario, LUDICA CONSULTORES
    Quite Inspiring! Thank you for sharing. Regards from Chile
  • Flag and Hide Paul B.
    Paul B.
    Lieutenant-Colonel at Canadian Forces
    Getting away from your desk and out of the office to meet and discuss issues with employees is a great way to catch the EQ of the organization, and exchange ideas and thoughts in a mutually beneficial manner - For the employee, they feel they are being engaged and heard by their leader; for the leader, new ideas from the floor motivate and clarify thinking moving issues forward.
    Likers Naomi Rochelle G.
  • Flag and Hide James B.
    James B.
    Consultant Engineer at Capita Symonds
    Find a job you enjoy doing and you'll never have to work again!!
  • Flag and Hide Mei L.
    Mei L.
    ECM Change & Release Co Ordinator T-Systems Sdn Bhd Cyberjaya
    "When I learn, the results are actionable ideas and a broadened vision. Opportunities for change are revealed. I'm engaged in the world around me, so there's no need to refresh" - So TRUE!!
  • Flag and Hide Palesa M.
    Palesa M.
    Quality Advisor at Eskom
    People who work just to get a paycheck will always need to recharge... I personally do my work with constant belief and striving to make the working environment and life simpler for the next person. 'Work' is not meant to be tedious. Thanks for sharing.
    Likers Svetlana G.
  • Flag and Hide Julius B.
    Julius B.
    Coach in Nike
    Great article.
  • Flag and Hide samar singh C.
    samar singh C.
    General Manager (Minerals) at hind aluminium ind. ltd
    Nice sharing ...
  • Flag and Hide Apurva B.
    Apurva B.
    Content Strategist at Timeless Learning Technologies
    I completely agree and I am happy that you shared this article!
  • Flag and Hide Mario S.
    Mario S.
    Busser at Black Angus Steakhouse
    This emphasizes the importance of doing what you love and work will not feel like work. Very good intake by a Founder of a successful business.
  • Flag and Hide Susanna N.
    Susanna N.
    Human Contact Design - NLP Trainer - Inspirator - owner BinnendoorS + 31 (06) 27383863
    Thank You,, true.If You can experience the spark of finding something new each day and connecting, You are in à Nice place.
  • Flag and Hide Tara B.
    Tara B.
    Experienced team leader, looking for an entry level opportunity
    I definitely agree that it is important to keep learning and finding new ways in which to do things and help others constantly. Of course, there may be times when you feel burned out, but I don't think you should ever feel bored in your work. If you start feeling bored then you probably aren't doing enough, aren't trying to discover new ways to do things, or are not doing your work with any purpose. If your work doesn't have meaning or purpose for you, you should choose a career path that does. Do something you feel is making a difference in the world.
    Likers Amy L. and Mohammed M.
  • Show More
Delete Flag and Hide
Please Confirm
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?

No comments:

Post a Comment