Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Debbie Weil and her gap year


Why my husband and I are taking a gap year to reinvent ourselves. We're writing a joint blog, GapYearAfterSixty.com.

 

Happy Tuesday

Gap Year After Sixty - coast of MaineI've been remiss in not bringing you up to date about something exciting. My husband and I are embarking on a Gap Year.

Our gap year started June 1, 2013, coinciding with the date that Sam left 31 years of medical practice as a gastroenterologist in DC.

You can follow along as we post to GapYearAfterSixty.com.

And yes, I am 61 and Sam is almost 62. I know that may sound very old to some of you. But let me give you a little background.

Voxie Media will move full steam ahead

First, this will not affect the programs and publishing services that Voxie Media offers. The next Beta Author program (my 8-week intensive writing class for business authors) is scheduled for Sept. 5 - Oct. 31, 2013.

It's not too soon to let me know if you are interested. Hit Reply and shoot me an email with a few words about your eBook project.

The authors who have taken the course have finished and published short eBooks or made significant strides with their writing.

Yes... And

We're taking a gap year 40 years after you're supposed to take "time out" before real life begins. Typically, this means either right before or right after college. Gap year is a British expression but it has caught on in the U.S.

Of course, we've had a real life. And we're married. So this is a little meta. But never mind. The idea is the same.


The word "retirement" isn't in our vocabulary just as it isn't for most Baby Boomers. We can't afford it. And we're more interested in leaning in and trying new things than in sitting back.

So we are taking time to reinvent ourselves before it's too late. We're taking a "yes... and" approach to life rather than a "no, but... " This means moving from DC to the coast of Maine (that's me in the photo above) for a good chunk of this year.

It means not knowing exactly what Sam will be doing a year from now - or where we will be living.

Uncertainty is challenging


The biggest surprise so far is that Sam is quite comfortable with his newly-unstructured time and freedom from daily routine. He is thinking and writing about health care reform, about which he feels passionately and which fueled his decision to leave the practice of medicine.

At the same time, two weeks into our gap year, I am feeling a bit confused by the uncertainty before us even though I pushed as hard as Sam did to take this time out. 


Highlights of our Gap Year so far

Why It's OK to Have a (Non)Plan for a Gap Year [Debbie]

Stepping Into the Void After 31 Years [Sam]

Unmoored and Learning to Drift [Debbie... here's where I talk about feeling scared]

My First Work Day on Sabbatical: Reflections on the Cost of Colonoscopies [Sam]


As always, I'd love to hear from you. Hit Reply and I will respond. Or leave a comment on our Gap Year blog if you are so moved. 

Yours in reinvention, time out and making a difference before it's too late,




Debbie

Debbie Weil
Founder & CEO, Voxie Media
Big Ideas. Short Books.™

{eBook publishing and programs for up-and-coming business authors}

email: debbie@voxiemedia.com
mobile: 202.255.1467

voxiemedia.com
facebook
google+
linkedin
@debbieweil

No comments:

Post a Comment