Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Retirement is not an option T Boone Pickens

 

Retirement is Not an Option. It’s the Beginning of the End.





Today is my 85th birthday. Before you go congratulating me, let me tell you two things. First of all, I don’t feel 85. Secondly, I’m not about to start acting like I’m 85 either. Here’s why.

In 1996, I left Mesa Petroleum, the company I had founded 40 years before. I was 68. The very next day, I opened a new office – BP Capital – and I took on new challenges. It was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. So many of my friends and peers, once they hit 65, they didn't stay active or engaged. Sad to say but they didn't stay around long either. I took that lesson to heart.

To me, retirement not an option. It’s the beginning of the end. A few days ago, a reporter from the Tulsa World asked me when I was planning on calling it quits. “I will go out of here in a box is the way that I will retire,” is how I responded. I like to work. I really do enjoy it. I like to make money, and I like to give it away. My charitable gifts are now approaching my net worth. That’s an accomplishment I am proud of.

On my calendar for May 22, I’ve got travel, business meetings, and a dinner with close friends. If I were back in Dallas, I promise you the day would have started at 6:30. That’s when my personal trainer shows up.

Now that’s a Happy Birthday!


Posted by:


Alan Russell




 

No comments:

Post a Comment