The Courage to "Como Te Llamas"

 
Laila was a new guest on our most recent trip to Guatemala, a myGreenlight alumni invited by our mutual friend Max Lyons. She wrote this blog post to share her experience and what she learned from working with these amazing kids. Thanks, Laila! - Keith
Me llamo Laila : An introduction - by Laila Hajji
On Day One there was a quick group introduction at the Santo Domingo Hotel. Excitement stirred as we made our way to our first village. The 20-minute bus ride was filled with conversations among the group that went something like this: “Hey, what was your name again?” “Cool, where do you work and what do you do?”
After a brief career introduction, conversation spun toward what brought us to Guatemala. For me, my great friend Max Lyons introduced me to the trip. I was stoked to have been invited, because I’ve been following Keith for a couple of years now and participated online in the myGreenlight tool. (This is actually where Max and I met). The quick bus ride provided for great introductions. Little did we know how much our first visit would set the tone for the week ahead.
As the bus pulled into the village, 65 kids were all seated in the stands of the concrete soccer field. They were anxiously awaiting our arrival. All of us peered out of the windows and a genuine delight filled the hearts of everyone on the bus. The truth is, we were just as anxious to meet them.
We rushed off the bus and began to hang out with the kids. “Hola, me llamo Laila!” “Como te llames?” “Me llamo Lis Beth.” “Me llamo Mariah.”
Without question, my introduction to Lis Beth and Mariah has forever changed my heart. I am from Oklahoma, and I don’t speak a lick of Spanish! I was nervous I would say the wrong things or my Spanish would come out wrong. Yet throughout the course of our visit to this village, we communicated better than I do with most Americans. The children's giggles at my broken Spanish led to more laughter. This only encouraged me to try to speak to them more!
By the end of the day, the only full sentences we had said to each other had been our introductions. After that, it had been a simple human connection, the ability to giggle, and hugs that made our friendships work. Lis Beth, Mariah, and the countless other kids I got to hang out with taught me more and gave me more than I believe I was able to give them.
What did I learn? Great things can start with an introduction. Perhaps it’s introducing ourselves to that person in our building who we pass occasionally but have felt too awkward to say “hey” to. Who knows? It could turn into a new friendship. Maybe it’s that homeless guy who I see when I walk my dog. We may be crossing paths because he needs a friend more now than ever before.
It could even be that aspirational contact we have, but just haven’t had the courage to connect. It could even be taking the chance of introducing yourself to Guatemala and the trips Keith has organized.
For each of us it is different, yet the principle is the same. It all starts with an introduction. Have the courage to introduce yourself to someone or something. It doesn’t even matter if you don’t speak the same “language”. There’s infinite potential following an introduction. My introduction to Guatemala was profound. I reconnected my heart to service, met incredible people, and made new friendships. What will yours do?
If you would like to make a contribution to our work in Guatemala, please make a donation here. The funds will be used directly to fund health, education, and community support work in the neediest villages.