Thursday, May 23, 2013

QBQ 5 top or favorite quick notes from QBQ

QBQ! QuickNote #1:

Take the QBQ! Challenge

by John G. Miller


Does my organization have an accountability problem?


The best way to answer this

outstanding question is to take

The QBQ! Challenge.

At my organization ...



When mistakes are made, do people ask, "Who dropped the ball?"


When change happens, do people ask, "Why do we have to go through all this

change?"



When others don't follow through, do people ask, "When will that department do

its job right?"



When there is much to do, do people ask, "Why don't others pull their own

weight?"



When the team is struggling, do managers ask, "Why aren't my people

motivated?"



When resources are tight, do people ask, "When will we get more tools?"


When the job is difficult, do people ask, "Who's going to train me?"


When competitors surpass us in technology, do people ask, "Why don't we have

better systems?"



When communication suffers, do people ask, "Why don't they communicate

better?"



When recruiting, do managers ask, "When are we going to find better people?"

Now, since this isn't a science, I would just say if you answered YES to even a few of

these questions, there is most likely a need for making personal accountability a core

value. But what does that mean?

People speak often about organizational "culture." A working definition of this well-worn

term might be:

Shared values and acceptable norms of behavior. It's the way we as

individuals

collectively comprising the organizationthink, feel, and act. Culture is

about how we treat each other, respond to each other, and support each other

or

how we don't.


It's characterized by behaviors that are allowed and considered normal

and those that aren't.


This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.



If we pass

The QBQ! Challenge above, then we've already made Personal

Accountability



(PA) a cultural core value. This means we've embraced PA as an idea

or principle to the extent that we utilize it to shape our behavior and thinking.

Organizations that pass

The QBQ! Challenge are outstanding because they're made

up of individuals who have decided to exhibit accountability in all they do. People

working together as teams, departments, branch offices, districts, and organizations

have consciously committed to the essential discipline of accountability. Said

differently, during those precious times they interact with colleagues, staff, and

superiors, as well as the paying customers

we call them momentsthey think and

act

accountably. When the ball is dropped, a peer commits an error, a random event

blocks a goal, miscommunication takes place, or change happens, accountable people

pause in the moment and ask

The Question Behind the Question (QBQ), "What can I

do to contribute?" and "How can

I make a difference?"

If your culture is like this, I say

outstanding! When we each choose to ask questions

like the two above

over timewe create a culture where personal accountability is

valued, honored, and practiced.

That is when

personal accountability has become a core value.

However, organizations that fail

The QBQ! Challenge have a culture characterized by

Blame, Victim Thinking, Entitlement, Complaining, and Procrastination

but probably

don't even know it. And that lack of awareness is a costly problem. But unawareness

can be penetrated simply by taking

The QBQ! Challenge.

So bring

The QBQ! Challenge to your team. Work through it and decide where your

organization stands. Don't worry if your organizational culture fails today. That's okay,

there's always tomorrow.


With the right

tools and trainingand timeany organization can

make personal accountability a core value!


This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.


QBQ! QuickNote #2:

Be a Blame Buster!

by John G. Miller

I suppose we all have a phrase or two that we can't stand hearing. Here's one for me:


There's plenty of blame to go around!




Often spoken by someone in the media, it's a phrase that has become prevalent.

Possibly because

blame has become popular!


Parents blame the schools, churches and Hollywood for how their kids turn out.


Spouses blame each other (sometimes with their attorneys present).


Employers blame the employees.


Workers blame management.


Voters blame the politicians they elected.


Politicians blame ... their predecessors.


Coaches and players blame the officials.


Manufacturing blames R&D who blames HR who blames Marketing who blames

Sales who blames ...

the customer!

And everyone blames the economy. Why not, it's so easy!

In our DVD-based

QBQ! training program, I list some costs of blame in a work context.

Blame:



Indicts people


Destroys morale


Reduces creativity


Lowers productivity


Increases fear


Drives wedges between

colleagues



Breaks down teams

Blame also hurts us at home, not to mention in our communities, churches, and

schools. You see, at the very least, when pointing fingers, we're not using our time,

energy and creativity to solve a problem. And

all organizations have problems! And

since schools, families, nonprofits, government agencies, and businesses are all

"organizations," there are problems everywhere! Remember this:


Nothing gets fixed when we are fixated on who's at fault.



This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.



The truth is,

outstanding organizations do not "seek culprits." When there is a Culture

of Culprit Catching


, we actually create more problems than existed in the first place. If

you don't believe me, see costs of blame listed above.

As we say in

QBQ!, leaders at all levels (that's you and me!) blame nobodynot even

themselves.



That last statement is not a way of escaping blame. Since everyone commits errors, it

simply means that if it's

me that committed one, I don't have to beat myself up over it.

The right questions to ask are, "What can I

learn from this experience?" and "How can

I now work to

solve the problem?" Of course, it might mean having to say the words

“I’m sorry!” to someone you know, too.


Blame-busting questions like these

we call them QBQsput me on the path of

personal accountability


and that path is always the place to walk. And no matter who

caused a problem, QBQs always bust the blame.

Our society may constantly send the message that "there's plenty of blame to go

around," but we can resist the temptation to do what's popular, trendy

and incredibly

immature. Instead, each of us can rise above the urge to blame; each of us can be a

Blame Buster. And when that happens, our organizations can be

Outstanding!

This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.


QBQ! QuickNote #3:

I Am Not a Victim!

by John G. Miller

Kevin Brown, Director of Marketing for SERVPRO in Nashville, TN

a QBQ! believer

and Miller friend

— makes me think when he says, “Life is fair … bad things happen to

all


of us.”

How often, though, do we think life is

not fair? Ever made statements like these?


The bank got us a "no interest" mortgage we now can't afford. It’s not fair.


My kids don’t ever listen to me. It’s not fair.


My retirement account is way down. It’s not fair.


I didn’t get the promotion/I lost my job/I was denied a raise. It’s not fair.


Others don't work as hard as I do. It's not fair.


My boss doesn’t communicate, coach, or seem to care. It’s not fair.


My employer cut our benefits. It’s not fair.


My staff doesn't seem to get what we're trying to do here. It's not fair.


I’m buried in high interest credit card debt. It’s not fair.


My home is worth less than I owe on it. It’s not fair.


The neighbors have a new boat/car/pool and we don’t. It’s not fair.


My co-workers are difficult to work with. It’s not fair.


Professional athletes make more than teachers. It’s not fair.


We’re going through a ton of change at work. It’s not fair!!!

My wife, Karen, has a favorite phrase. “It just is,” she’ll say. Meaning, sometimes stuff


just happens, circumstances just exist, and people simply act like people. The truth is


we were never promised “fairness.” Humans make hurtful comments, accidents occ

ur,

events take a turn we don’t expect, others are blessed with talents we lack, things


happen out of our control

sometimes way out of our control.

Childhood friend, Philip Foltman, and I were both born May 28, 1958. I, though, am

three hours older and never let him forget it.

Growing up in Ithaca, N.Y., we graduated from Ithaca High in 1976, were pals during


our college years, and he served as my “best man” in 1980. And that he is: the best.


But in comparison to Phil,

I am a victim! I have “the right” to be angry, hurt, and bitter.

It’s not fair!



This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.



How come? Because for over 35 years Philip has had something that I have not:


A mom.




In fact, he

still has his mom. I can barely remember mine.

I've not had a mother since Gerald Ford was President, the Bee Gees were hot, and


Star Wars was only in George Lucas’ imagination. It was May 20, 1975, while

attending a “ladies’ meeting,” Mary Miller, age 51, experienced a blinding headache,


slumped on a

friend’s sofa, and was rushed to the hospital. Two hours later she was

gone. A quiet but deadly killer had taken her. “Aneurysm” is a word I wished I’d never


learned, and certainly not at 16.


It wasn’t fair.




But Philip, my buddy, was there that tragic day in 1975. Within an hour he was at my

house and five days later he and

his mom—“Mrs. F”—came to my mom’s memorial

service.

Three and a half decades later, he still has his mom. Phil is a fortunate man.

But so am I, as I have many blessings ...

Karen is still my best friend, there are seven special people born between 1983 and

1998 who

call me “Dad,” beautiful grandchildren, and I love what I do.

And just as I certainly would

never hold it against Philip for still having his mom, I

shouldn’t hold it against anyone for having more of anything than I do. Envy doesn’t


wear well. Neither does the

It’s not fair! We're all victims! mentality that pervades our

society today.


Now here's what's not fair:


Begrudging people their achievements, success, possessions,

financial status, and good fortune.



When I hold it against others that they have more of

anything than I do, I have chosen

to be a victim


. And victim thinking, self-pity, and envy eat away at my soul, destroy my

ability to contribute, and make me a lesser person. Maybe even a small person.


This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.



Bottom-line, when I play victim, I serve nobody

not even myself. It's far better to flip

the switch


and completely eliminate victim thinking from my life.

Kevin Brown is right: Bad things happen to all of us. Sometimes those bad things are


tragedies beyond our control and sometimes they’re the result of our own mistakes.


Either way, the secret to life success is in how I respond, the choices I make, and how

I talk to myself.

And I

like youwill engage in healthy, productive, and truth-based self-talk saying:


Success and happiness are based on choice not chance.


My decisions have directed me to my destination.


I am personally accountable for every choice I make.


I am not a victim!

Thoughts like these enable each of us to

be outstanding. It’s just as simple as that!

This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.


QBQ! QuickNote #4:

Ending the Blame Begins with ... Me!

by Kristin E. Lindeen



Have you ever made a mistake? Dropped the ball? Caused a problem? I have. And I

hate it when that happens.

Before joining QBQ, Inc., I served as a university academic advisor helping incoming

students choose their classes. Jessica, a co-worker, and I counseled one new student,

who was hesitant about attending college. She was a single mom with two little ones,

and she worked a full time job. The three of us worked closely to set a schedule that

worked for her. But on the first day of school, it turned out that she'd been put in the

wrong class

wrong subject, wrong time, wrong location. This was bad news for an

incoming student, especially a busy mom.

Well, we all huddled and after some creative scheduling, the problem was solved. The

student

our customer, my customerwas happy.

So, feeling

personally accountable, I spent some time thinking back over the

circumstances to see if I could figure out where the mistake occurred. I tried to ask all

the right questions of myself

I mean, after all, I was raised on QBQ!

“What could I have done to clarify?”

“How could I have follow

ed up more effectively?”

“What can I do to be more careful in the future?”




Later, I wandered into Jessica's office and started talking about the whole mess. But

while I talked, Jessica was only ... nodding! My frustration began to build. You see, to

be truthful, I was accepting

my responsibility for the problem, and rightly so. Yet, what I

really,

really wanted my co-worker to say was, “Well, Kristin, I could have done more,

too.” When it got right down to it, I would've happily agreed to take, say, 70% of the


blame, and then

she could’ve taken 30%. In fact, I would've negotiated to 80/20 if she'd

wanted to. I just needed her to say,

I am accountable, too!

Has this ever happened to you? You’re asking the right questions, admitting to your


involvement in a problem, practicing personal accountability, but

no one else is

owning up to their part?!

It’s not an easy position to be in.

Honestly, as I was telling her, “I could have done this or that differently…” I wanted to


scream out,

“And you, Jessica, could have done something differently and it’d be really

This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.



super for you to admit it!!”


What’s ironic, is this coworker even had the QBQ! book

sitting on her desk.

That was the day I realized that practicing personal accountability by using

The

Question Behind the Question


is a choicemy choiceand not one that I can force

others to make.


Personal accountability is just that

personal.


I can't make someone else be accountable. In her office, I suppose I could've asked

Jessica to read the

QBQ! book again, but that probably would not have enhanced our

working relationship. Personal accountability is just that:

personal. My job is to

eliminate blame from

my life.

Since I became a QBQ, Inc. team member and began

speaking and conducting

workshops on my dad's (John Miller) material, I have learned that organizations

struggle mightily with this blame thing

what it looks like, why it happens, what its

costs are, and how to stop it. There's even a bit of confusion about blame. Some

recent client statements:



Our executives actually like to ask "Who dropped the ball?" because they feel it

keeps individuals from hiding behind systems and processes.



So what if blame creates fear? What's wrong with that; isn't fear a motivator?


As a manager, why shouldn't I blame my staff? They're the ones not reaching

their goals!



OK, I know I shouldn't blame others, but does that mean I should take all the

blame

all the time?

I believe in simple, so let me simply quote the

QBQ! book:

Accountable people don't blame anyone. Not even themselves.




It's true, solving problems, excelling in our work, building relationships, and reaching

goals are all driven by introspection, humility, continuous learning, passion,

accountability, and hard work. Never finger-pointing, accusing, recriminating, and

blaming. Let's call it quits on The Blame Game today. We can do better. Are you with

me 100%?

If not, that's okay

it begins with me.

This

QBQ! QuickNote™ PDF may be forwarded by email to others or printed in its entirety

for personal and group use. © QBQ, Inc. 2013. All rights reserved.


QBQ! QuickNote #5:

Six Truths of Accountability

by John G. Miller

I've been speaking on or writing about personal accountability since 1995

and I've

come to believe there are six truths that are self-evident:

1. Everybody wants

everybody else to practice personal accountability. Enough

said.

2. Individuals make

exceptions for themselves when it comes to

accountability/responsibility/

ownership:

Example: If I earned an annual income of, say, $65,000 back

when the real estate market was peaking, but bought a half

million dollar home

and then lost that homeit was due to

"predatory lending." But if a neighbor flies to Vegas, gambles

away his entire net worth and comes back broke, we think, "Wow.

That was really stupid. What a foolish thing for him to do!"

Sometimes, we need to say that to ourselves, and then ask

The

Question Behind the Question


(QBQ), "What can I learn from this

experience?"

3. I am

more effective in all rolesfather, mother, professional, spouse, friend,

volunteer

when I practice personal accountability.

4. Personal accountability begins at home with

effective parenting.

5. Life is more

enjoyabledownright more fun!when I walk on the High Road

of Personal Accountability.



6. It's simply the "right thing to do." The wrong things to do are blame, whine,

point fingers, play victim, become entitled

and expect others to bail me out

of my bad choices.

Now, if you don't agree with these six ideas

that's just fine. But that's the way I see it.

QBQ, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment