Sunday, January 27, 2013

25 things I wish I knew before I moved to SF Amie Chilson

25 Things I wish I knew before moving to San Francisco



pac_hightsI’m re-posting this Blog Article; it’s great for SF Newbies or those planning to relocate here! I chuckle at the endless Costume opportunities, (I have an actual ‘section’ now in my closet) flowing PBR, (When I drink beer, it’s usually Pabst!) Foodie Heaven, (Oh be still my beating heart!) Cold-by-4pm-layering, (doh! Learned the hard way) and many more. Enjoy!
I moved to San Francisco 9 months ago from the East Coast bastion of Boston. Despite having experience living in a major US city, I found quite a few surprises coming here. Some have been great, while others not so much.
If you’re planning the move here, I hope this will help you know better what to expect. And if you already live in SF, this should give you a laugh or two and hopefully inspire you to leave a comment with anything I missed. Consider this the guide I wish someone had given me when I moved here.

It gets cold at 4pm.

On the east coast I got used to it staying warm on a nice day til 10pm. If it was 70 degrees in the morning, you could rest assured that the temperature would be about 70 when you left work that night. That is not the case here.
Working in SoMa, I’ve found that somewhere around 4pm the temperature starts dropping and so by 5 or 5:30pm it’s 10 degrees cooler outside. A lot of this is due to the fog that seems to roll in around then.
Pro Tip: Be prepared to always have layers with you. A light jacket is your best friend in San Francisco.

presidioNeighborhoods define you.

People take the neighborhood you live in pretty seriously. It’s often a quick way to figure out a lot of what a person values most as SF is a city with something for everyone. Each neighborhood has a unique set of offerings, and pros and cons. Like any stereotype, it’s not always true, but you will find that yes, there are a lot hipsters in the Mission, bros in the Marina and families in Noe Valley.
Pro Tip: If you’re moving here, spend some time in different neighborhoods before you get locked into living somewhere. (See one man’s opinion here) Hey! My neighborhood (Russian Hill) didn’t make the list!

If you’ve ever lived in SF, you’ll totally get this, and if not, it’s a pretty good idea of the stereotypes & diversity of neighborhoods:
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment