Friday, September 21, 2012

Tips on change in your life without losing your marbles. Thanks Vicki garcia

How To Make A Big Transition Without Losing Your Marbles

by Vicki Garcia on August 16, 2012
MarblesNotice, I didn’t write, “loosing” your marbles. Anyway, that is a topic for an entirely different blog post that will probably be titled, How To Look Like An Idiot.

Back to the post at hand. I can pretty much call myself an expert on making big transitions. I have a few under my belt. The latest of which, almost made me lose my mind. Almost. I did not lose my mind because I use my coaching techniques on myself. This is what I ultimately want for each of my private coaching clients. Learn the tools and use them!

My family and I just made the move from San Jose, California (large city) to Bothell, Washington (country). It happened very quickly due to my husband taking a new job. We didn’t have time to think. We just had to make it happen fast.

I’ll spare you the details but in a word it was CRAZY!

We are now happily somewhat settled in our temporary housing (yes, round two of the transition is still to come) and I am able to reflect on how things went. I certainly had my moments of crazy that I’m not proud of. Like the day of our first open house when our fabulous realtor very nicely asked me to remove the coffee maker from the kitchen counter for staging purposes. Let’s just say I lost my mind for a moment and got pretty cranky over it. Sorry, Leslie!

Looking back, I came up with some guidelines for making a big transition without losing your shit over a coffee pot. In no particular order:

  1. Give yourself a freaking break! Transitions are typically stressful. Don’t make it more stressful by beating yourself up over not being perfect. Cut yourself some slack.
  2. Smile
  3. Apologize when you screw up. If you, too, have a “coffee pot” moment, just apologize for your behavior and move on. Or write a blog post about it. :0
  4. Breathe
  5. Keep things in perspective. Look at the big picture and don’t get caught up in the details. There will be time for details later.
  6. Stop worrying. Nothing is ever made better by worrying. Do what you CAN do and move on. Don’t obsess over every little thing (see #5).
  7. Remember that things ALWAYS work out. This will too. It may not look exactly the way your perfectionist self would like it to, but it WILL work out.
  8. Smile
  9. Stay healthy. Eat good food, get some exercise, drink wine. Well, I don’t know if the drinking wine is really healthy or not but it certainly helped me.
  10. Breathe
  11. Laugh with friends. No matter what is going on, you always have laughter. My friends who made me laugh saved my butt. You know who you are and I love you for it.
  12. Take time for you. In the middle of a big transition it can be crazy busy. Find a few moments every day to sit quietly with yourself.
  13. Think good thoughts. Do not indulge in negative thinking. I know, it’s not easy. I did plenty of it. When you find you’re thinking doom and gloom, give yourself an attitude adjustment and choose to think something good. It works wonders, I swear!
  14. Smile
  15. Breathe
  16. Bonus – celebrate when it’s over!

These are the tools I used to get me through my big move. My transition isn’t over yet. It’s really just started. I’ll be using these tools and many others over the coming weeks and months. Mostly the one about drinking wine but the others are good too.

Need help with a transition? I’m your gal. Give me a call and set up a Bitchin Transition Session. We’ll chat and see if I can help you. You’ll decide if I’m a coach you can work with. We’ll kick some ass together. This first time, 45 minute session will cost you $25 and it could be the best $25 you’ve ever spent. Vicki@mykickasscoach or 408-799-9025

No comments:

Post a Comment