Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Want to break a bad habit? Secrets revealed

 

Want to Break a Bad Habit? Secrets Revealed



Do you want to change your habits? If you're like just about everyone, yes. Turns out that the first step to take is to know yourself.
I love dividing the world into different categories, and I've discovered that when it comes to habit-change, people fit into four categories — what I call the Rubin Character Index. If you want to change your habits, it's very helpful to know your category.
These categories describe how people tend to respond to expectations: outer expectations (a deadline, a “request” from a sweetheart) and inner expectations (write a novel in your free time, keep a New Year's resolution).
In a nutshell:
  • Upholders respond readily to outer and inner expectations
  • Questioners question all expectations; they'll meet an expectation if they think it makes sense
  • Rebels resist all expectations, outer and inner alike
  • Obligers meet outer expectations, but struggle to meet expectations they impose on themselves
I recently gave a talk at LinkedIn about the Rubin Character Index. Over the next two weeks, I'm going to post four short videos in which I discuss each category.
First up: my discussion of Upholders — which happens to be my category. I'm 100% an Upholder, and realizing that made so many things clearer to me.

Do you know what category describes you? How does it affect your ability to change your habits? To hear more about the categories, stay tuned; I'll be posting more videos soon.
*****
In other news, want more information about my bestseller Happier at Home? Of course you do! Here's a smorgasbord of options:




Alan Russell



  • Flag and HideDavid H.
    David H.
    Owner, Fire by Light LLC
    Bad habits rob us of our very lives, at least the ones we could have lived. Almost no one intentionally picks up a bad habit. It was to be a momentary indulgence. Sometimes it was just caving to an impulse...one too many times, and now it's not controllable. It controls us. There is hope! Two things can work when nothing else will. One is accountability. Get someone or more than one to hold you accountable. Tell this supportive

No comments:

Post a Comment