Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It should go without saying


Remarkable Leaders Communicate Powerfully
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
"It should go without saying..."

Let's stop there. Maybe it could go without saying, and maybe you wish it would go without saying, but it never should!

The most common source of miscommunication is quite simple: people regularly fail to realize how little they are actually communicating. In other words, we're saying a lot less than we think we are.

When we assume that other people know what we’re thinking, and what we are expecting of them, we do them a real disservice - and end up causing frustration and conflict. So the next time you catch yourself thinking, "I didn’t specifically say that, but it should be obvious", STOP.  Nothing is ever obvious unless you made it obvious by spelling it out.

Ask yourself these 4 questions to be sure that you are truly communicating:
  • "I just want to make sure that I am clear. Would you please tell me what you understood me to say?"
  • "I'd like to make sure I said that clearly. Please tell me what you heard?"
  • "I'm not sure that I am conveying my idea the best way. What have you heard me say?"
  • "I may have said that in a way that does not really communicate what I’m trying to say. If I did, I’d like a chance to rephrase it. What message did you hear?"
Use these questions as is, or revise them to make them your own and to help you start better communicating today!


Kevin Eikenberry
Chief Potential Officer
The Kevin Eikenberry Group

 
p.s. Get a quick-start approach to solving your communication challenges - and start increasing your effectiveness and building your confidence with The Ultimate Communicator! Learn more here.
Without good communication, we will not be effective leaders or managers.

Learn how to communicate more persuasively and more effectively with:


Our Upcoming Schedule:

2013 Dates
Anaheim, CA: Nov. 5-6
Philadelphia, PA: Nov. 12-13
2014 Dates
Tampa, FL: Feb. 5-6
Denver, CO: Apr. 22-23
Nashville, TN: June 5-6
The Kevin Eikenberry Group | 8021 Westover Drive, Indianapolis, Indiana 46268 United States | (317) 387-1424

Update My Contact Information
| Unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment