Saturday, March 26, 2011

One of my favorite authors and speakers Keith Ferrazzi

Posted on March 24th, 2011 by Keith Ferrazzi
I met sales trainer Greg A. Cozine recently at a lunch set up by RMA’s West Coast head of sales. Greg shared some great insights into the sales process, so I asked him to put together a guest blog to share one with all of you.
Here’s Greg with the easy-to-implement tip that he has found has a HUGE effect on his trainees’ success:

Understanding the difference between a suggestion and a direction is one of those nuances in the sales process that can really have a huge impact on your closing ratio.

Suggestions are close cousins of opinions. You know what they say about opinions right? Everybody has one...at least one. While well thought out opinions and helpful suggestions can be useful in moving your presentation forward…in and of themselves they do not actually close deals. In the closing process, ultimately what really matters is not what you suggest to your prospect/client but what you actually direct them to do.

Here’s an example of what I mean in day to day life. Suppose I want to get a group of coworkers to head out to a great sushi spot for lunch. If I say, “Hey guys, I heard of this new sushi place that’s supposed to be really good. Do you want to give it a try?” In effect what I’m doing is asking for their opinion. But if I’m really confident in what I’m offering why am I hedging?  Instead, I should say, “Guys, there’s this great new sushi place… you’re going to love it…let’s go!”

By being directive, you instill confidence in those that are receiving your offer. People often have a need and desire to be directed and to be directed by people who have absolute confidence in their product or services, especially when what’s being offered is something new. This can apply to lunch or a major financial transaction.  Now, of course, you’d better have solid reasoning and intelligence behind your directive – you need to deliver the goods! If the sushi absolutely sucks, it’ll be the last time anyone ever takes a lunch direction from you.

Suggestive: “Brett, I know this is a new approach for your company but I think if you give it a try you’ll not be disappointed…and I promise I’ll give you great customer service with the deal…so what do you think…you want to give it a try?’

Response: “Well let me think about this a little and I’ll get back to you blah blah blah…”
By being suggestive as in the example above, you’re just setting yourself up for an ambiguous reply. Everybody wants to hedge their bets, especially if they are offered a hedge.

So here’s the directive approach:
“Brett, this offering is going to get results that make a difference – and we’ll back that up with customer service that is second to none…let’s do it.”

Response: “So how much is the total cost again? And how does your customer service work? Will that be primarily through emails and phone or will you come to the office for follow up…”

Now the prospect is asking buying questions…which is exactly what you want.
If you’re speaking to a real qualified buyer (the decision maker) and you’ve given a great presentation and all that goes with it along the way…you’ve earned the right to be directive and ask for the deal! If the buyer has any unanswered questions there is nothing like asking for the deal to get him/her to start asking them. Don’t hedge and don’t think that asking for the deal means you’re being aggressive. Rather, you are confident of what you can deliver.

Think about the film business: I’ve yet to see a film that has a “suggested by” in the credits. It’s called a director for a reason…as in “directed by.”  And nothing attracts great actors like a director who is absolutely confident about what they want, why they want it and how to achieve it. Same thing applies to the relationship between you and your prospect or clients. This is your movie! Be the director!
That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!

Greg A. Cozine is a sales trainer, coach, and speaker with over 25 years of experience.

1 comment:

  1. I read Never Eat Alone and it compelled me to make networking and connections my first priority and now two years later the results are so clear. Sometimes while we network while we work on improving we do not see or feel the results. What do you think of these tips and please take a look at Keith Ferrazzis blog and web site.

    ReplyDelete